Simplicity is often overlooked, but it’s the most powerful tool in a designer’s arsenal. These quotes remind us that less is more, and it’s important to strip away any unnecessary elements. In the designer’s workflow, it’s crucial to always think about simplifying the designs while maintaining their effectiveness and beauty. Design should be for life and solving a problem, not for philosophy.
1. “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” – Leonardo da Vinci
2. “Good design is as little design as possible.” – Dieter Rams
3. “Less, but better” – Dieter Rams
4. “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” – Albert Einstein
5. “Design is not for philosophy. It’s for life.” – Issey Miyake
In my designer’s workflow, it’s crucial to always think about simplifying my designs while maintaining their effectiveness.
Function is at the heart of design. These quotes remind us that the most important aspect of the design is how it functions and how it helps solve a problem. In the designer’s workflow, it’s important to always remember that the purpose of design is to solve a problem and serve a purpose. It’s a combination of talent, creativity, skill, and knowledge, all working together to serve the purpose and solve the problem.
6. “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” – Steve Jobs.
7. “Designers can create normalcy out of chaos; they can clearly communicate ideas through the organising and manipulating of words and pictures.” – Jeffery Zeldman.
8. “Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.” – Charles Eames.
9. “Styles come and go. Good design is a language, not a style.” – Massimo Vignelli.
10. “A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it’s not that good.” – Martin LeBlanc.
I remember when I first read Steve Jobs’ quote, “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” It was a defining moment for me. It reminded me that the most important aspect of the design is how it functions and how it helps solve a problem. That’s why when I start a new project, I always keep in mind that the purpose of design is to solve a problem and serve a purpose.
Failure is an inevitable part of the design process. These quotes remind us that it’s important to embrace failure and take risks to grow and learn. In the designer’s workflow, it’s important to be open to experimentation and not be afraid to try new things, even if they don’t work out. Embrace change and anticipate the needs of your audience and clients.
11. “Design is a solution to a problem. Art is a question to a problem.” – John Maeda.
12. “The public is more familiar with bad design than good design. It is, in effect, conditioned to prefer bad design because that is what it lives with. The new becomes threatening, the old reassuring.” – Paul Rand.
13. “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.” – Steve Jobs.
14. “Design is all about change and how you choose to approach it.” – Paula Scher.
15. “Design is the method of putting form and content together. Design, just as art, has multiple definitions; there is no single definition. Design can be art. Design can be aesthetics. Design is so simple, that’s why it is so complicated.” – Paul Rand.
One of the toughest lessons I’ve learned as a designer is that failure is an inevitable part of the process. It’s not something to be feared but something to be embraced. As John Maeda said, “Design is a solution to a problem. Art is a question to a problem.” Failure allows us to ask new questions and come up with new solutions.
Design and branding go hand in hand. These quotes remind us that design is an important aspect of communicating a brand’s message. In the designer’s workflow, it’s important to keep in mind that the design must serve the purpose of effectively communicating the brand’s message and creating a strategy for relationships with its audience.
16. “Design is the silent ambassador of your brand.” – Paul Rand
17. “The function of design is letting design function.” – Michael Bierut
18. “Design is a strategy for relations” – Rob Walker
19. “Design is not for philosophy; it’s for life.” – Issey Miyake
Creativity is the key to any designer’s success. It’s what sets us apart and allows us to create something truly unique. That’s why I love Paula Scher’s quote, “Design is a mindset.” It reminds me that design is not just a job but a way of thinking and approaching problems.
20. “Design is a solution to a problem. Art is a question to a problem” – John Maeda
21. “Design is a mindset” – Paula Scher
22. “The design of the future is not about more, but about less” – Dieter Rams
23. “The way get started is to quit talking and begin doing.” – Walt Disney
As a designer, I have to be open to experimenting and trying new things. Dieter Ram’s words about future design trends remind us that it’s not about creating more but about simplifying and creating with less. “The design of the future is not about more, but about less.” This is why I always try to have a curious and creative mind and always be on the lookout for new ways to approach design.
In conclusion, as a designer, staying inspired and motivated is important. These quotes serve as a reminder of the principles that are important to keep in mind when working on design projects. Whether you’re facing a creative rut or just trying to stay motivated, I hope these words will inspire and guide you in your own design journey. Remember to always keep the purpose of design in mind, embrace simplicity, take risks and failures, anticipate the needs of your audience, have a creative mindset and always be curious.